August 1 was my 31st birthday, and like every birthday, it got me thinking. Thinking about how long I've been here, what I've done, and what I want to do. I typically do this because, in my mind, my birthday is my actual New Year's Day.
So instead of setting goals and resolutions on January 1, I thought my birthday would be a good time to really look at where I am and where I want to be. There is a lot I've accomplished, but of course, there's always more to do. The older I get, the more I become aware of my impermanence, which I like because it drives me to make the most out of this life I have.
Anyways, last year I wrote about the most important lessons I've learned in my first 30 years of being alive, but this year I wanted to do something different. So I've decided to share 31 things I'm going to do in my 31st year!
Keep reading to see what I have on this year's to-do list.
1. Rebrand and expand my blog
I have some ideas for my website, including focusing more on my blog content and making it more focused on travel, culture, food, and art. Instead of it mainly being a photography portfolio, I want my photos and words to go hand in hand, so I can tell more of a journalistic story.
2. Launch my t-shirt business For years, I have wanted to start a t-shirt business, and recently I've gotten clear about what kind of shirts I want to make. With that being said, I think it's about time that I really develop this business and start designing some tees!
3. Take 1 trip per month
Since I want to make my blog more focused on art, culture, and travel I definitely need to travel more! Whether it's a short weekend excursion somewhere close by or a week off in unknown lands, I just want to explore and share my experiences.
4. Read 1 book per week I love to read, but I've never met my everlasting goal of finishing 1 book per week. I start off strong, but I've never held myself accountable enough to complete the goal. This time, I want to do things differently and actually do it.
5. Try out yoga
This is one of those things I've been "meaning to get around to" 😂. I've dabbled in yoga and enjoyed it when I have, but instead of doing it once or twice a year, I'd like to add it to my daily routine.
6. Spend more time in nature This is something I do pretty often, but I know I could do more of it, which shouldn't be hard. It calms me and gives me creative inspiration. After all, there's no such thing as too much nature, right?
7. Learn a new language (Spanish to be specific 😁)
There was once a time when my husband and I were taking private Spanish lessons, and that's basically where the story ends. But I want to pick up where I left off, so why not start now?
8. Join (or start) a book club To put it simply, I love to read (hence goal #5) and I've always wanted to be a part of a book club. I think it would be a great way to meet people and also exercise my analytical muscles.
9. Exercise more frequently
Although I consider myself a pretty active person, I'm definitely not working out 5 times a week like I used to. Instead of looking back on those days nostalgically, I thought it would make more sense to just go back to that.
10. Spend more time on me Okay, okay, I admit it. I'm a people pleaser. In some ways it's good, but in a lot of ways, it's bad. One way is that I dedicate too much of my time to other people. Sometimes I'll even drop what I'm doing to help someone out, but I know this is only preventing me from doing what I need to do.
11. Take a painting class
One thing you probably aren't aware of is that I love to paint and draw, but those hobbies haven't gotten much attention from me lately. I think taking a painting class would reignite my passion, and of course, teach me a thing or two.
12. Actually do something with my Patreon account! Patreon is an awesome website for creators of all kinds, which is why I signed up last year. So why exactly haven't I been using it?! Well, the buck stops here, and I'm ready to build up my content and get some patrons!
13. Create a YouTube Channel
I've been dreaming of starting a YouTube channel dedicated to my projects, art, culture, and travel for a while now, but I haven't taken a step in that direction yet. It's probably due to nerves and the anxiety of wondering whether anyone will watch, but that shouldn't matter. I want to do it, so I should do it for that reason alone.
14. Work with more models Last year I set out to switch my focus from objects, nature, and architecture to people. I had a few photoshoots (woohoo!) and now I'm ready to expand into working with models for fashion and beauty-focused shoots.
15. Start my movie review blog
Technically, this header should say start over my movie review blog because I wrote 2 blog posts and never kept up with it. But I love movies, and I especially love dissecting and discussing them, which is why I started it in the first place. I think it's time for me to pick it back up again.
16. Travel to at least 2 new countries Which ones? I don't know. I think Canada is definitely one because I've been wanting to go to Vancouver, but as far as country numero dos? I'm thinking of a tropical paradise, but we'll see which way the wind blows...